SOLS: Skunked

sols_green-copy

I’d just snapped the lid on my now empty bowl of cereal when my cell phone rang.  Rummaging through my purse in the passenger’s seat, I kept my eyes on the road for fear that deer and other critters would be on the move, and knowing I didn’t want to start my day – much less my school year – with any such event.

I glance at the screen and see it’s my husband.  A quick twist of the volume quiets the Sesame Street soundtrack, but results in louder protests from the fastened toddlers in the back of my mini-van.

“Just a second, kids.  Daddy’s calling.”  Surprisingly, they’re OK with this and decide to peer our their windows instead.  I take the call.  “Hey, what’s up?”

“I just hit a skunk!”

“What?!  You’re kidding?  I think I saw one coming through the field by the S-curve,” I replied, laughing.

“Yup, that’d be the one!” he sighed.  “I think I just clipped it though, ‘cuz it doesn’t smell too bad.”

“Whew!  Talk about first impressions!”

We kidded back and forth before hanging up.  The kids asked more about what happened, yet another sign that they’re growing up too fast and paying attention to e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!  After recapping the event and enjoying a tear-less good-bye at daycare/pre-school, I smiled heading back to the van and hoped my husband’s bad luck was enough to count for me as well!  There’s nothing like an exciting first day of school!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Through various connections with the National Writing Project, I have come to know of some terrific online classroom resources such as the Two Writing Teachers blog.  I have never before participated in their Slice of Life Story Challenge but figured that today was as good a day as any to begin!

2 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. bonnie k 09/08/2010 at 5:23 am | | Reply

Welcome to the world of blogging and to a new school year. What a great Slice to begin with. Your blog looks great but you might want to link your Slice directly with a link to this specific post.
    Watch out for more animals in the road!
    Bonnie

If you are a member of the NWP you might want to check out our ianthology

http://ianthology.ning.com

Bonnie

2. jee young 09/08/2010 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Great slice of life entry~! I had a similar things happen this summer, where I luckily missed running over a skunk!